Spoken Language: English
Business: Healthcare, Healthcare Products and Services
The Nielsen Eye Center is a full service ophthalmic practice serving the Greater Boston area, specializing in LASIK, Refractive & Cataract surgery. Dr. Steven A. Nielsen is a Board Certified Ophthalmologist who completed his residency at the world renowned Doheny Eye Institute. Dr. Nielsen was involved in the original FDA LASIK trials and has since performed over 20,000 refractive surgeries. The Nielsen Eye Center offers the most advanced technological LASIK platform available: Blade Free Optimized LASIK with the Intralase Laser and Allegretto Wavefront Laser.
At The Nielsen Eye Center you will always be given with the most compassionate, individualized care. Discover for your self The Nielsen Advantage: The Doctor, The Technology, The Service You Deserve. Call us to schedule your Free VIP LASIK Consultation and find out how to change your life by freeing yourself from glasses and contacts!
The Nielsen Eye Center is proud to offer it’s patients the most experienced doctors, the latest technology and concierge level service from our highly skilled staff. Established in 1991, our practice offers comprehensive eye care and the latest technological advancements in diagnosing and treating conditions of the eye. Dr. Steven A. Nielsen, M.D., is an expert in laser vision correction, cataract and lens implant surgery, treatment for glaucoma, macular degeneration, the diabetic eye and corneal transplants.
The Nielsen Eye Center has been featured on major Boston television networks and has received personal testimonials from numerous radio personalities including Loren Ownes of WROR, David O’Leary of WBOS, Howie Carr of WRKO and Glen Ordway of WEEI. We have also been happy to serve several New England Patriots players, television personalities such as Bob Lobel of Channel 5 News and musicians like Ken Casey of The Dropkick Murphys.
This group of elite clientele has trusted the expertise of The Nielsen Eye Center for their LASIK surgery. Thrilled with their results, many have referred their own friends and family members to Dr. Nielsen. We hope that when choosing a physician or practice you remember The Nielsen Eye Center.
LASIK surgery FAQ
- Am I a candidate for LASIK?
- LASIK surgery is ideal for patients with prescriptions between -12.0 and +4.0 and with mild to severe astigmatism. Only an in-depth evaluation can truly determine if a patient is a LASIK candidate. The Nielsen Eye Center offers free LASIK consultations for all interested patients. Call 617-401-8542 to schedule your free LASIK consultation at The Nielsen Eye Center.
- How soon after LASIK surgery will I see well?
- Each patient is different and the eye drops given during the procedure can cause some blurring. Many patients notice a dramatic improvement even as they leave the office. Typically, 5 out of 5 patients can pass a driving test without glasses or contact lenses after the treatment.
- Will I need glasses or contact lenses after the treatment?
- At The Nielsen Eye Center, the goal of refractive surgery is to reduce your dependence on glasses and/or contact lenses. A small percentage of patients wear a thin pair of prescription glasses for night driving and over the counter glasses for reading very fine print.
- Can both eyes be treated at the same time?
- Yes, we perform laser vision correction on both eyes on the same day. This relieves the troublesome effect of being nearsighted in only one eye between the surgeries. The entire process of bi-lateral LASIK takes approximately 10 minutes.
- What kind of anesthesia is used?
- The procedure is generally painless. Numbing eye drops are the only anesthesia we use. No needles or intravenous drugs are used.
- Will I be in pain after the procedure?
- Each patient is different, and some patients experience a sensation of burning or scratchiness. Mild irritation, similar to that of having a dirty contact lens in your eye, can last one to three hours after the procedure. One dose of Tylenol is all most people find they need. Most people avoid discomfort if they take a nap soon after the treatment.
- How soon after the procedure can I bathe or shower?
- You can bathe or shower the same day. However, it is important to avoid getting soap or water directly in your eyes. Also, it is important to avoid rubbing your eyes during the first month after having the procedure.
- When Can I drive?
- You should not drive the day of the procedure. After that, you may drive when you feel confident that your visual acuity and eye comfort allow you to drive safely.
- When may I return to work?
- Most patient go back to work full-time the day after treatment. It is rare that an additional day or two is required before returning to work. We recommend that you take it easy for a couple of days and that you refrain from strenuous exercise for a least a week as this can traumatize the eye and affect healing.
- How many times do I need to be seen following the treatment?
- Typical follow-up appointments are scheduled 1 day, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and one year after treatment. Some patients require more visits. Remember, we are available 24 hours a day to answer any questions or concerns.
- How much does Laser Vision Correction Cost? Can I afford it?
- At The Nielsen Eye Center, our policy is to arrange affordable monthly payments in order to help fit LASIK into your budget. As compared with eyeglasses and contact lenses, LASIK can pay for itself in a few years. Eyeglasses usually have to be replaced once a year or so and contact lenses, depending on the type, can be extremely costly.
Thousands of doctors, professional athletes, radio personalities, their family members and others from around the world have chosen Nielsen Eye Center to perform their surgery. While we are proud of our exclusive clientele, we are most proud of the care we give to each and every patient. We are dedicated to providing our patients with the most advanced technology, one of the most experienced eye surgeons, and a standard of compassionate care that sets us apart.