MissionFish : Service that turns donated goods into cash for nonprofits by selling them on eBay.
Business: Auctions, Business Services
MissionFish helps nonprofits fundraise on eBay
- The combination of our technology and nonprofit expertise, plus eBay's active global community, forms the eBay Giving Works program. It allows sellers to give proceeds from their sales to a favorite nonprofit, and helps nonprofits raise funds by selling on eBay too. Nonprofits can also receive donations from eBay users through the Donate Now feature, which lets anyone with a PayPal account donate to nonprofits right away –without buying or selling anything.
Trust, Safety and Reliability
- As the trusted administrator of eBay Giving Works, MissionFish makes the program safe, easy and reliable by:
- Certifying that our nonprofits are tax-deductible and meet eBay Community standards against hate, violence and intolerance.
- Collecting donations from eBay users and delivering them to nonprofits as intended.
- Managing the tax benefits of giving through eBay Giving Works.
- Powering the technology that makes it all possible.
- We're also a nonprofit: MissionFish is a collaboration of the Points of Light Institute, Pew Charitable Trusts, and The Case Foundation. We serve thousands of organizations in the US and the UK. To date, we’ve helped raise millions of dollars and we’ve been recognized by the Yale School of Management and the Social Enterprise Alliance for our innovative approach. MissionFish is based in Washington, D.C. with an office in the UK.
Our Name, Our Mission
- Our mission is to use technology to help nonprofits find new sources of unrestricted funding. Our name is fun, but it’s really an explanation of our purpose:
- Good organizations should get to focus more on their missions, and less on keeping the doors open. Our "Mission" is to help them serve theirs.
- The "Fish" in our name borrows an analogy from Share Our Strength founder Bill Shore: Rather than "giving fish" to keep a nonprofit running, or even "teaching them to fish," we're trying to "build fisheries" that sustain good causes over the long-term.
- Our mission is part of a larger vision, which can be summed up as: any cause, any donor, any gift. To make that happen, we’re making it easy for people to give as a part of their daily lives, and we’re working to change the way that we all think about philanthropy.
By Directory on Sep 16, 2009